Thursday, August 30, 2012

What we are up to......

I have been playing catch up on the blog and thought I could do one post that brings us current to what the Zyrieks are up to these days now that we are winding down summer officially with Labor Day just around the corner.

Gary - Gary is training his heart and legs out for the 24- hour St. Jude ride.  It is September 21st-22nd and he is very prepared and ready for his solo effort. His goal is to ride 325 miles and raise $3,250! If you would like to donate, here is his fundraising page.  Gary has been so dedicated to this training and I am very proud of all that he has accomplished. The girls and I are excited about watching him in a few weeks.

Lisa - I am deep in the Memphis Runners Road Race Series preparing ultimately for the St. Jude Half Marathon in early December. So far we have done the 2 5k's, 2 5-milers and the first 10-k is just around the corner on September 9th. I have made progress in my times and was excited to see 9:01/mile paces for the 5k's. I was slower for the 5-milers but feel that I am improving and my endurance is becoming longer. I have a hard time really pushing myself and am working on not only becoming stronger physically, but mentally as well. I am starting a bible study in September on Lysa TerKeurst's newest book, "Unglued". I am looking forward to this fellowship and exploring how to make progress in this area.

Anna- Anna is training for the Memphis Thunder Kids Triathlon which is September 23rd. Looks like we will have a busy weekend with Gary's ride and the triathlon and a race for me as well. She has really been working on her bike and run and I know that she will have improved over last year. She is playing soccer for Harding this fall on the 3rd/4th grade girls team. She is doing well in school and is adjusting the increased number of tests to study for and books to read. She is a smart girl and does well in school.....just need to stay motivated.

Caroline - Caroline decided to take a break from soccer this fall. Of course once she heard a few friends were playing she started having second thoughts. She stayed put and said she wants to try basketball in the winter and soccer in the spring. She is taking a drama class after school again like she did in the spring. She is adjusting well to kindergarten and loves to be the class reporter each night telling us exactly what happened during the day. She will be 6 in September and reminds us of that daily! We will have her birthday party in October after fall break since it falls on the weekend of Gary's ride and fall break starts the following weekend. She is still deciding on the oh-so perfect place.

We are adjusting to the school season. We all seem to be tired but who would not be between our work, school and training. Gary and I have tried to be purposeful in what we place on our calendars and are reminded in the sermon series currently at church on living a sane life and not in insanity. We are mindful that we don't have to say  yes to everything and that our time with the girls is more important than some other things that may pop up for us to commit to. We are not perfect and often over-extend ourselves and collapse at the end of the day, but are working on it!

No comments: