Monday, January 31, 2011

January wrap up

One month of January has come and gone so I thought I would check in and report back how we fared in the Zyriek Zoo and how I am doing on my goals for the year.

Snow...sick of it. The girls had their first full week of school since Christmas last week and it made them sad. Gary and I were dancing every single day. We did get a scare on Tuesday night when it snowed for hours but luckily the streets stayed clear. I like it when we get an awesome snow that the kids can play in, but that came the first week of January when Gary and I were in Arizona.

Auburn...speaking of Arizona, Gary and I had a blast in Arizona cheering Auburn on to their first National Championship since 1957. See related blog post for pics. Gary has recovered from the stress of football season and has put his efforts into training.

Training....Gary is training for a half ironman on April 17th in New Orleans and I am training for a half marathon no March 20th in town. Both have us attempting to coordinate schedules to fit in all of our workouts. I feel great so far with my running and cannot believe that a little over a month ago I was not running at all and Sunday I finished 6 miles. Well on my way but glad there are 7 weeks remaining to build up my mileage. Gary is doing great and has my head spinning with his schedule and how complicated it can be to get in a two-a-day workout several times a week. He is a slave to the bike and pool and is improving greatly on the run. He runs circles around me as far as speed and distance and he is the one with the bad knees!

Caroline....visited Junior Kindergarten earlier in the month. I cannot believe she will be there in just a few months when fall rolls around. She thought it was big time and as long as they still have some fun and rest time she will be glad to be there. We have signed her up for spring soccer and are hoping that her team stays in tact. She has been asking why she does not have games since they ended in November. My biggest beef about Caroline these days and I hope this does not make me a horrible mom is that she still wears a pull up at night. Why can't she master this and what is going on in her body?? We limit liquids and get her up before we go to bed but still no success. It is hit or miss. We will get there...at least she does not wear one to nap in at school and has no accidents ever.

Anna....reading all the time. She increased her AR goal at school from 45 points the first semester to 75 points this semester. That is HUGE. She reads a lot and is enjoying it. She really wants to win the trophy this semester for her class but we just encourage her to do her best. She is consistently in the top 5 which makes her proud. She is joining a new soccer team this spring with some friends from school. So, if I am going to have a complaint about Caroline I have to complain about Anna as well. She needs to learn to brush her teeth better. Why, after almost 8 years on earth, can she not brush her teeth well?? We have found apps on the ipad, used a timer, had lessons and still, not good. No cavities but still...her report card from the dentist is that she does not brush well. We'll get there....always have a goal!!

Me....enjoying the running and the routine of school and work. Wishing I was not in busy season at work but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Birthday celebrations were fun and appreciated. I really don't feel 37...wonder when I will feel my age or when I will think I am old?? I used to think differently about age but now with older parents and my husband and I getting older, I have a renewed view. I have done well with my Bible reading and actually ahead of myself. I am enjoying pairing the readings with our Discipleship class at church. I enjoy this slow down part of my day. Patience has been a virtue I have focused on the most this month and am finding ways to calm myself down against the frustrations of raising two strong-willed daughters. Organization has improved and we are always finding ways to tidy up and organize better. I am in the midst of preparing for the various children's consignment sales around town, so my dining room is a staging center currently and cannot be held against me. At least I am working to earn a few extra bucks!! Family time has been great this month. We have each spent time with the girls on our own and together. Skating at the zoo was fun and new. A beautiful unseasonlike weekend last weekend was perfect for time at the park and we found a great idea for a birthday party for Anna.

Overall...crazy, busy month that could not be predicted weather wise. Still running and still learning!!

No comments: