Saturday, January 22, 2011

Not-so-much-snow day

The girls were so excited on Thursday morning because "the sky looks like it is about to burst open with snow" according to my 2nd grader and "I dreamed we were going to get so much snow" according to my 4 year old. I was dreading the words "snow day".....the girls were out of school on Monday for MLK day and I stayed home with them. I was having flashbacks to last winter when between Christmas break and President's Day I don't think they had a 5 day school week for one reason or another. Snows days, while fun if there is a lot of snow and everyone can freely stay home, are a hassle when a) there is hardly any snow to play in and b) it is a work day for me!! I knew it was bad when we dropped off Caroline for school Thursday morning and the secretary said "Can we get a phone number to call you if we dismiss early"....uh oh. Was this "storm" really going to happen?? Well....about 11am we got the dreaded notice from Anna's teacher that Harding was dismissing early due to the "threat" of bad weather. Only in the south, when it is 42 degrees and raining with snow projected do the schools dismiss early. Turns out we did get 1-2 inches of fluffy snow (no sticking to the sidewalks or streets) but no issues before rush hour. We knew that there was no way the kids were going to go to school on Friday. Anna had me refresh the school closings on the WMCTV5 website every 2 minutes and then about 11 am the message she was waiting for....no school on Friday.

The roads were a little icy on Friday morning and most offices opened late. By 10am...nothing on the roads!! I stayed home with the girls. We got out a little bit to avoid going nuts. Caroline wanted to know if she could go to Target and get a "snow day souvenir"...of course that answer was a quick no. The girls lasted for about 30 minutes in the snow....made some snow angels....had a fluffy snowball fight and then ran around in it for a bit. I think it took us longer to get ready to go outside than it did for all the snow to be used up with fun. Hopefully next snow day we will get the surprise 6 inches we did one day last year.

Let's just hope we go on Monday!! P-L-E-A-S-E!!


caroline trying out the snow

bundled up girls with their self-selected outfits

anna in her auburn colored snow pants making an angel

No comments: