Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Electricity presented by Grandpa

I so generously signed up my dad to do science experiments in Anna's 2nd grade class this year. He agreed graciously to do this as long as the material was on what he knows best. I can't think of any type of science that my dad can't conquer, being a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and a Master's in Aerospace Engineering from Cal Tech...nerd capital (just kidding, dad). However, my dad prefers not to work with earth science or biological sciences. So with second semester in full swing and my dad's kind of science on the agenda, Dad was slated for his first experiment with the eager 2nd graders. Dad did a lesson on electricity and based on the comments from Anna, the pictures sent by the teacher and a few e-mails I received from other parents, he was a hit!! He sat on the floor with the kids and they were very engaged. Anna thought it was great and can't wait for him to come back. Dad said they were very smart and interested and he wished his college students at U of M were half as enthusiastic and engaged in class as Anna's class! Kudos to Mrs. Kolznak for having an awesome class and thanks to Grandpa for bringing science to life. I really do remember when Dad would walk down the street to Campus School from his office at U of M and do science talks with my classes. Now we are on the 2nd generation.


anna learning about electricity

dad with the kids

great speaker to the budding scientists

anna with grandpa, so proud!

No comments: