Saturday, January 30, 2010

January was all about determination

It is just about the end of January....a time to reflect back on what this month has brought and how well I did with what I had set out to accomplish. I heard on the radio on Friday that most people keep their resolutions for 18 days. One of my "goals", NOT resolutions, was to try some new workouts and stick to them. I am a relatively fit person but have struggled lately with my fitness. I love The Biggest Loser show and was intrigued by several DVD's I found done by Jillian. I purchased the 30 Day Shred DVD before Christmas. It is a DVD with 3 workouts at varying levels. I had heard that it was tough and was up for the challenge. I decided I would do each level for 10 days and see how things worked out. I started December 28th and finished on January 28th. I took 3 days off throughout and absolutely LOVED it. It is very hard but I saw some changes. I am stronger, more toned, lost a few pounds, gained some muscle and lost a few inches all around. I am going to keep with it and supplement other workouts with it.

I found myself very determined to finish what I had started. I was upset when the day after my wreck I was so sore I could not work out. I found I was disappointed but knew it was OK. I learned a lot about myself this month through sticking with the workout. Along with the consistent workouts, I was hopeful that we could continue what we started this fall and eat healthier, at the table as a family, most nights of the week. Gary and I have worked hard to plan out our menus and stock our freezer and fridge with what we need to make it happen. We ate out on average 1 evening per week which I think is great. It helped us stick to a monthly budget, have more family time and eat better overall. Gary and I both keep food journals and we were determined to eat mostly what we could measure so we could make healthy choices. Yes, we are those crazies that walk into a restuarant with the online menu printed out to help make our choices!! While Gary has done this for a long time, I have grown to really like it.

I think it will be a goal of mine to have a theme for each month. January was all about determination and I think February is going to be all about organization. I learned a lot about my supposed organization skills when working through all the details of my wreck. I hope to do some things during February to hone my skills and have some of my chaos in order. Check back for results.

No comments: