Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wild drive to work

Thursday morning was like any other morning in the Zyriek house....I woke up a little late but still got my work out in. Gary and I did our usual tag teaming to get the girls fed and dressed for school. We all departed around 7:40 which is a little late for me, but oh well. The traffic on Germantown Parkway was atrocious for the second straight day. As I approached Walnut Grove, I was in the far right lane of Germantown Parkway....a nice lane created about 2 years ago to aid in the continuous flow of traffic that will soon turn right onto Walnut Grove. In the blink of an eye, a very old turquoise colored Saturn sedan was in my lane, having turned left in front of four lanes of traffic and I could not stop. I plowed into the car, airbags deployed leaving me freaked out in rush hour traffic!!! I started crying almost immediately trying to put the pieces of the past minute together. As I exited the car I noticed that my phone must have landed somewhere out of my line of sight. The two people in the other car were non-English speaking and unhurt, luckily. I called Gary, my parents and the police in that order. As I waited for their arrival I surveyed the damage. A lot of damage to the front end of my car. My neck was hurting and I had a sizeable burn on my hand and wrist from the airbag. All in all, I was in good shape. As the police arrived, we learned the other car held 2 illegal immigrants with no drivers licenses or insurance. Just my luck. My only 2 accidents in the past 10 years were a) not my fault and b) with uninsured drivers!! The driver was arrested and taken to jail and ticketed for the accident and for failure to have a drivers license, which I think were the least of his concerns. I ended up having Gary drive me to work to try and put back the pieces of my crazy morning. Currently, my car is at the body shop....estimate was not done yet on Friday afternoon. We are very curious to hear if it is totalled or if they will repair it. More to come. Thank goodness I was alone in the car without the girls and I was ok. I have been told many times that cars are replaceable but I am not. Good to hear the encouragement!!! I will have to blog separately about my dealings with the tow truck company. Whew....that will wear you out to read about!!

the results of a very powerful collision

airbags did deploy...thank goodness!!

No comments: