Monday, July 23, 2012

Road Race Series

I am running the Memphis Runners Road Race series this fall and am up for the challenge. I have been running consistently for over 9 months and working with a running coach, which has really helped to increase my endurance and push me to what I really am capable of doing.  The races consists of 2 of each of the following distances: 5k, 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile and half marathon. The series started on July 8th and the second 5k was on July 22nd. I ran solo for the first race and surprised myself with a 28:01. That was a 9:01/mile pace. Really excited because I have always been a 10:00/mile person and felt resolved I would be stuck there. With speed work thrown into the mix, it has really helped. The second 5k was on Sunday and I ran with my friend Lauren. She had been on vacation for 2 weeks in the mountains in New York with her family and so we ran and encouraged each other. It was very warm and over 90% humidity. I finished just a few seconds slower and was happy to have maintained a near 9:00/mile pace.

On to the longer distances. I am excited about this series and the hopes that it will keep me accountable and challenging myself. My friend Rachel has a few pictures from the first race but I have not seen them yet. As of now...just imagine very sweaty runners in the hot Memphis heat!!

No comments: