Friday, February 26, 2010

Uncle Jimmy

My dad grew up with 5 brothers (God bless his mother Ruby!!) and was the youngest. The last living brother was named Jimmy. He has had a rough 2 years with various medical issues including cancer of the larnyx, bypass surgery, lung surgery and several other small things. My dad found him at his home unresponsive on February 17th and called 911 to transport him to the hospital. Jimmy had a 6 day hospital stay that turned into hospice care and on Monday, February 22nd he passed away. This was very emotional for all of my siblings as we saw my dad realize he was the last member of his immediate family having already lost his parents and his brothers. Jimmy had a full life and was hilarious. The last big trip Jimmy took was to the Final Four in San Antonio in March 2008 to watch the Tigers play for the National Championship. What a thrill for him as he accomopanied my dad, brother and cousin.

My dad now has the task of cleaning out the house where my uncle lived which had been my grandparents. 30 years of history. Bittersweet.

The experience of watching and waiting at the hospital brought us all close and made me really cherish that I live in the same town as my parents and 2 of my siblings. Family is so important. I am also so glad that my children are growing up in the same town as my parents so they can know them and learn about their histories too.
Jimmy donning a sombrero in San Antonio


My brother James, cousin Chip, uncle Jimmy and Dad @ the Final Four!

No comments: