Friday, May 3, 2013

Dad's Retirement Surprise

After 40 years of teaching at the University of Memphis, my dad decided to retire this spring. Bittersweet time for him in that he is so passionate about teaching and coaching and mentoring young students to be rocket scientists and engineers like him! My stepmother approached the family a while back and asked if we would consider contributing to a scholarship in Dad's name for future engineering students to reap the benefits of. This was a perfect gift for my dad in that he did not want a huge party, does not really need anything and would love to see his legacy live on past his retirement. We met together on Wednesday night and hijacked an end of the year celebration dinner for the engineering graduates to present Dad with the plaque honoring his new scholarship. He was thrilled....speechless in fact. Something that is rare for my dad!! I was so proud of him and to see his career culminate like this was gratifying. Long live the engineers!

my dad...speechless and a bit teary eyed after the announcement

my brother blair and his family, my stepmom and my girls and I with dad

another professor presented the plaque to dad

dad and julie

dad's scholarship plaque with all of our names including many close friends, family, students and faculty

No comments: