Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kelly's Kids Road Trip

My friend Laurie and I are a bit obsessed with good deals when it comes to children's clothing. She introduced me to the huge world of consignment sales a few years ago and I have gotten pretty good at earning some money that way. Two years ago, we ventured out of town for a Kelly's Kids clothing warehouse sale in Natchez, MS. We had both attended such a show when it took to the road and landed in Memphis in 2006 but had never been to the warehouse before. That trip was a success but seemed low-key compared to what we were facing this time around. Kelly's Kids decided to stop the road shows 2 years ago due to the economy and had not had a warehouse sale since May 2008. Therefore, they had 2 years or 4 seasons of clothes to unload. We first received notice via Facebook and then e-mail regarding the sale this year. Everything was going to be $5.99!! That was amazing as these clothes at the trunk/catalog shows is anywhere from $20 to $50 or $60 depending on the item and whether you had it monogrammed or not. Laurie and I decided this time to make it a family road trip and that our husbands could let the kids swim at the hotel during the trip.

So off we went to Natchez, MS! We enjoyed a nice dinner on Friday night and then Laurie and I decided we would get to the warehouse at 7am for the 9am opening time. When we arrived, we were approxmiately 50th in line. Not too bad. About 7:45, the ladies that were running the sale passed out a "rules sheet". This was getting serious!! Then, at 8:20 out of the clear blue, they opened the doors. We ran to put up the chairs/blankets we had been sitting on and our reading materials and entered the craziness. They had SO MANY clothes and they kept bringing out more racks. Laurie took size 3-4 for our little ones and I took size 7-8 for our older girls. Luckily our girls are the same age and size so we can tag team easily. Within about 15 minutes we each had 2 sets of everything it seems. Then we sorted and shopped some more. It was fast and furious but the rush was amazing!!

We then approached the checkout line...I ended up with 60 items which was not bad because everything was in sets, it was for 2 girls and it was for 2 seasons! I even ended up with some outfits that were matching for the girls which they enjoy. The girl behind me in line who had about 10 things asked me if I had a store or if I was going to wea all of those clothes. That made us laugh!!!

Overall, great success. The girls loved the clothes. I loved the prices and we had a great time!!


the crowd in front of us in line
the racks quickly emptied, but the employees brought out more!!
the rules sheet....love that the final rule was that you would be 'ejected' from the sale if your behavior was unbecoming.

laurie with her stash

me with my stash

1 comment:

Rachel Baker said...

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!! If you ever do this again and you don't call me I may have to terminate our 30 year friendship. :) I got the email but alas, I was out of the country. But seeing your picture makes me wonder if I made the right decision....$5.99???