Friday, March 1, 2013

March update

What are the Zyrieks up to in March??

Gary is still letting his knee heal. Has not tried a run yet but has gotten on the bike a few times. He seems to be getting more confidence but he is definitely not 100% yet. I think a return trip to the doctor is in order for a progress update. He has been very busy at work. A new restructuring has taken place and Gary is leading several key initiatives. They is giving him some new projects and team members to work with and definitely keeping his plate full. Basketball for Anna ended in February and it is nice to have Saturdays back and a hiatus from coaching.

I am running 4-5 times a week. I have a schedule of races I would like to tackle over the spring months including a few 5k's, a 10-miler and a 10-k before the summer road race series gears up after July 4th.  I am working on speed and am liking my results.  It is budget and strategic plan update season at work. This is nothing compared to busy season that I was used to for 12 years in public accounting.

Anna is busy with her almost daily rehearsals for Charlotte's Web. She will take to the stage April 14-16th playing the part of Charlotte's spider baby Joy as well as a part of the crowd at the fair and the other ensemble parts. She is really enjoying this and we cannot wait for her debut. We were told at her recent dental appointment that she was ready for "pre-braces". These will be put on probably near the end of school and will be on for a year. The dentist indicated that this will help straighten her teeth so that when the remainder of her baby teeth fall out her mouth will be ready and in good form. This could eliminate or reduce braces again in a few years. This was a new process to me but I have seen several of her friends with braces recently so I guess that is what is going on. Anyone want to donate to the cause? Braces are not cheap and I guess that I why I never had them as a kid. Wouldn't I have looked stunning with my big glasses and braces when I was 14? No spring sports for Anna as she wanted to take a break after fall soccer and winter basketball. I'm glad because it would have been a lot to juggle with play practice being almost every day.

Caroline is loving kindergarten and her passion for reading has made itself known. Caroline's class is working on reading 100 books. Caroline is obsessed with turning in her record sheets that indicate she has completed 10 books. She wants to be first (I think she is going to be a bit like Anna in that regard) and tells us every day if anyone is ahead of her. She is doing a great job when she concentrates. She loves to walk around and move all over the place while reading which drives Gary and I crazy. I cannot believe we are approaching the final grading period of kindergarten and that first grade is just around the corner. No spring sports for Caroline either. How did Gary and I get so lucky?? We plan to ride bikes and spend time outside as a family and enjoy this down time and realize it won't always be this way. Definitely a gift to us.

Planning summer camps, vacations and other fun things ahead. I am very much a planner and like to have things on the calendar early so they are set. Anna will be going back to two sleep away camps and enjoying various other camps. Caroline has more variety this summer too as she wants to go to Mud Camp this year and is old enough to do so. Our 15th anniversary is this month and it falls during Easter weekend, so we will have to plan a get away in the late spring or summer to celebrate! Anna will be 10 next month which is another milestone to celebrate. The Zyrieks are doing well, enjoying the onset of spring and looking forward to wrapping up the school year.

No comments: