Saturday, January 5, 2013

Fitness Update

Thought I would do a brief update on what's going on fitness wise in the Zyriek house. Unfortunately it is great news for me but not so great news for my better half. Not too long after the St. Jude Marathon, in which I ran and Gary served as the race crew and ran further than me that day, Gary started to have some pain in his knee. He thought maybe it was a fluke and tried to run a few other times. Gary really is in tune with his body and knew something was wrong. He went to the doctor and she thought he had tweaked it and gave him some anti-inflammatory meds and suggested he try running a short distance again soon. That flopped, so off to the MRI he went. Turns out he had a small vertical tear in his miniscus in his knee....the same knee he had miniscus surgery on before the kids were born. Not Gary's favorite memory and not the news he wanted to hear!! Gary needed to stay off of his knee for 4-6 weeks to hopefully allow it time to heal on its own. Gary swam at first but was advised by his mom during her visit at New Year's to stay completely off the knee and allow the swelling to go away. This was a hard thing for Gary to digest. My constantly active and competitive husband was banned from running, biking and swimming!!

So, what did I do? Sign up for a half marathon in Birmingham, AL the weekend of President's Day. Gary joked that I needed some long training runs to escape the insanity of him not being able to work out!! My training was going to be short...just 6 weeks but I really wanted a chance at a cold weather half marathon since Memphis turned out to be super warm and I was slower than I wanted to be. So I amped up my training shooting for a PR in Birmingham on February 17th. Stay tuned for results!!



No comments: