Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fish Funeral

Anna got her first beta fish for Christmas 2008....Sassy she was named. She was a great fish. She had been slowing down lately and her fins were looking a little sad. While packing for our July 4th trip to Dallas, I noticed sad Sassy, upside down in the fish bowl at the bottom and completely void of color. I texted Gary who was still at work and asked how we should break the news. When Gary arrived home we sat Anna down and Gary told her that Sassy had died. Immediately the girls wanted to go and look at her. Anna was a little sad but when given the choice of how to "bury" Sassy, she chose a good old fashioned burial in the backyard. Caroline was trying to feed her because she said she was just hungry but we tried to explain it without being too graphic. Anna wrote a note or eulogy for Sassy and we found a paper clip box to bury her in. Anna said a few words and then we all said goodbye. We promised to get another fish upon returning from Texas. I think Caroline is very concerned about whether Sassy is in heaven or not and whether she is happy now or not. Sweet girl. This honestly has been a major conversation topic of Caroline's (heaven and whether people and/or animals return from heaven once they are there) for about 2-3 months. Rest in peace, Sassy.


anna's note to sassy: "I loved Sassy so much. I am going to miss her. She was always smiling at me. I cared for her"


gary digging the grave

anna reading her note to sassy

finishing touches

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I loved my beta fish when I was little! Her name was Weeza (named after the character in Steel Magnolias). RIP Sassy!