Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The panties experiment

So, Caroline has been literally begging me for "big-girl" panties. She even stopped me on the way out of the door last Thursday morning and we had the following conversation:

CEZ: Mommy, while you are at work today, can you buy me some big girl panties?

Me: Caroline, I'm not sure I can do that during the day today.

CEZ: I want Sleeping Booty and Cindewella.

Me: We can go and look for them this weekend.

CEZ: They need to be pink.

Me: We'll see, Caroline.

CEZ: Can I wear them tonight?

You can tell I was really getting through to her.....I ended up buying her a 3 pack of Sleeping Beauty panties and Dora the Explorer panties on Monday at Target. She was thrilled when I showed them to her. We let her wear them on Monday night between arriving at home after school and bedtime. Here is how the evening went:

5:45: Caroline first puts on her Sleeping Beauty panties. She runs outside to show Gary in the garage and refuses to put back on her skirt from school.

5:55: Successful trip to the potty.

6:05: Successful trip to the potty. (We set a timer on the microwave for every 10 minutes).

6:15, 6:25, 6:35: Sucessful trips to the potty, including in the middle of dinner!!

6:45: Sits on the potty but no action.

6:55, Timer goes off, but I am busy pinning Anna's number badges on her shirt and figure I have a minute or two to spare....not so much. Caroline brings in a second pair of panties to switch to since she had an accident.

6:58: Gary figures out that she has had another accident and we are now on pair #3 for the evening.

7:10, 7:20, 7:30, & 7:40: All successful trips to the potty.

7:45 Dressed for bed with a pullup.

All in all, not too bad. I really thought it was going to be awful. She is getting used to going to the potty on her own and thinks it is kind of like a game. She can't stand when we interrupt her to use the potty but as 6:55 proved above, we have to stick to the schedule until we feel we can stretch it out more. We will keep trying!! Oh, I long for the days of no diapers!!!!



1 comment:

shea said...

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day! Yay for Caroline! I'm seeing all the fun things I have to look forward to!